4th May 2018

Obituary: Sid Horsell

Trading Standards lost a quiet, but dedicated member and friend in May 2018

By JTS Staff
Journal of Trading Standards' in-house team

Sid was the son of Sidney Herbert Horsell and Annie Harris, an only child. They lived in Wimbledon where and he gained an education at Pelham Road County School, leaving to undertake National Service in the Army. Following discharge, Sid remained a Territorial rising to become a senior NCO, only to be called from reserve for the Suez crisis. Reportedly he did little more, however, than reach Port Said to play football on the quayside before sailing back to England on cessation of hostilities.

He was a member of the 1st Wimbledon (St Cuthbert’s) Boy Scouts Group becoming a Rover and Assistant Leader of the Cub Pack. His studies continued to gain professional qualifications and a friend still remembers his relief on passing the final examination to become a Weights and Measures Inspector.

In the late 50’s Sid acquired a Vespa motor scooter but could only loosely be described as a ‘Mod’!

Sid passed the Board of Trade exam in 1956, whilst working for London County Council. In August 1956 he became an Assistant Inspector at the brand new L.C.C. office at 23 Harper Road, Southwark. It was a purpose built office, complete with public weighbridge. Sid joined the Institute and was living at Merton Park, SW19.

In April 1965 Sid moved to Croydon as a District Inspector. In March 1966 the Greater London Branch of the Institute was being formed and Sid became the first Treasurer. The records then show that by 1971 Sid had moved to Westminster and was still Treasurer. He finished his career as Chief Inspector at Kensington and Chelsea.

As well as being the Branch Treasurer he and his wife Joyce were regular supporters of all branch activities and he was the editor of a newsletter which kept members in touch with older retired members and ex members with ‘where are they now’ reports. Sid was a quiet man but always had a smile on his face.

He was laid to rest on 10th May at Kingston Crematorium, attended by his wife Joyce, friends and colleagues. There was a celebration of his life at a nearby Hotel.

Compiled by Chris Armstrong from memories from friends and colleagues

Comments are closed.