North Yorkshire Trading Standards has issued advice to the public on how to avoid the wrong kind of scares this Halloween.
Revellers are advised to ensure that costumes, accessories or face paints are bought from reputable shops and are UKCA or CE marked to show compliance with safety requirements. It is also important to keep costumes away from candles and open flames.
To eliminate risks from candles altogether, it is a good idea to use battery-powered tea lights and candles in lanterns and displays. Children and pets should be kept away from naked flames, while traditional flame candles should never be left unattended or placed on a flammable surface.
Halloween costumes, accessories and spooky decorations (including battery-powered tea lights) may contain button cell batteries, especially if they have lights or make sounds. Make sure that the batteries are protected by an enclosed secure compartment to ensure the battery is inaccessible.
Button batteries are often found in items such as blinking or non-flashing lights on toys such as headbands and decorations, wands and musical decorations. These lights and sounds are powered by tiny button cell batteries that are often only the size of a five pence coin. They can easily be swallowed, causing serious harm.
Make sure that any toys, accessories or decorations powered by button batteries have the battery compartment secured with a screw so that a child can’t access it.
If you need to replace button batteries, keep them in their original packaging and store in a suitable container out of reach of children. Remember to dispose of a dead battery, or device containing a battery correctly, as they can still cause harm if swallowed.
Find more information on how to have a fun and spooky but safe Halloween here.