Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards Service is reminding parents of the dangers blind cords can pose to children under five.
The warning follows the recent tragic death of two-year-old Macey Fletcher who became ensnared by a blind cord. Macy’s was one of the 29 toddler deaths connected to blind cords since 1999.
A regulation change in 2014 states that all blinds sold and installed must have the cords attached to the wall and have a chain break feature or a wand-style device to open and close them.
Buy Wise Be Safe’s summer safety campaign hopes to raise awareness of the dangers to save lives and prevent under-fives from being seriously injured.
During the campaign, parents and carers of under-fives are being reminded of the steps they can take to help keep their children safe.
Ben Newell, Team Manager at Devon, Somerset and Torbay Trading Standards, said: “It’s easy to forget just how fast your child will grow. Being adventurous, they may try to climb onto furniture, open and close things, and home in on objects like cords that even a few days previously just weren’t reachable. Don’t underestimate your child’s ability to wriggle out of a high chair or climb out of a cot. Be aware of the potential dangers in your home.”
Stuart Radnedge of Buy Wise Be Safe commented: “Blind cords are unforgiving if a young child becomes tangled in one. It’s why the regulations were introduced in 2014. But how many people know about it?
“Security devices can be purchased and installed cost-effectively, which should prevent accidents from happening. But there are dos and don’ts for this risk to under-fives wellbeing, and all the others around the home, which can be followed very easily.”