27th June 2022

Family recognised for allergen work

The family of Megan Lee, who died following an allergic reaction to a takeaway, have received a special award.


By JTS Staff
Journal of Trading Standards' in-house team
TYPE
SUBJECT
REGION
SHARE ARTICLE
We have continued to raise awareness of the dangers of allergens and hope we will make business owners and their staff think about their actions. No-one wants another tragedy to happen

The family of Megan Lee, who tragically died at the age of 15 in 2016 after suffering an allergic reaction to peanuts contained in a takeaway, have received a special award in recognition of their work to promote allergen awareness.

Megan’s parents, Gemma and Adam, and her brother Owen, worked with Trading Standards officers at Lancashire County Council to produce ‘Megan’s Story’, a short film featuring photos and video of Megan growing up. The film was created to make businesses aware of the risks associated with allergens and ensure other families don’t have to go through the same ordeal.

The video has been used all around the UK and was recently incorporated into a multilingual resource developed by Trading Standards Wales.

The Lees received a Special Recognition Award at the CTSI Conference in Bristol for their commitment and dedication to raising awareness of food allergens.

Gemma said: “We can’t change our story as much as we would love to. But what we can do is help others by stopping this story happening to someone else’s family.

“We have continued to raise awareness of the dangers of allergens and hope we will make business owners and their staff think about their actions. No-one wants another tragedy to happen.”

Adam added: “It was incredible to receive an award at the CTSI Conference 2022. To receive an award in our daughter’s memory is truly heart-warming.”

It is thought that as many as one in three of the UK population, or 21 million people, live with an allergy of some form and this number is increasing at an alarming rate.

Dr Sakthi Karunanithi, director of public health for Lancashire County Council, said: “Food allergy is a serious and growing public health issue.

“There has been a dramatic increase in allergic diseases in recent years and raising awareness of this for both businesses and the public is very important.”

County Councillor Michael Green, cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “I would like to thank Gemma and Adam Lee for their tremendous efforts to raise awareness of food allergens after the tragic loss of their daughter, Megan.”

Councillor Green added: “The county council has developed a number of resources to increase awareness of food allergy as a serious issue and help educate young people and adults about the potentially life-threatening nature of the condition.

“We recently developed a free e-Learning package for businesses to raise awareness of this growing issue, to help ensure that what happened to Megan Lee doesn’t ever happen again to anyone in Lancashire.”

One response to “Family recognised for allergen work”

  1. Leigh Hammond says:

    Extremely good article. There was also a recent article in the press of a hospital patient who sadly died as a result of her coeliac status & dietary requirement for Gluten Free was completely ignored and staff had persisted in providing wrong foods at meal times. All avoidable. A lack of duty of care. Not picked up on her personal data nor was a wrist band warning in place.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.