9th July 2019

Button cell batteries: be vigilant

Button cell batteries can injure or even kill a child if swallowed. This slideshow explains the risks, how to minimise them and what symptoms to look out for.


By JTS Staff
Journal of Trading Standards' in-house team
SHARE ARTICLE

Button cell batteries – also known as button batteries or button cells – are used in a host of everyday electrical items, but can prove deadly if swallowed by a child. Most likely you have some in your house, but you might not know where.

If you have young children at home – or young children might visit you – you should make sure you understand the risks of button cell batteries, where you might find them, the symptoms a child may show if they’ve swallowed one and what to do if you suspect that has happened.

The slideshow below will talk you through it all. Please share this with anyone you know who may have young children in their home.


Other button cell battery coverage:

Button cell batteries: know the danger

Video: Button cell batteries

More resources:

www.capt.org.uk/button-batteries
www.rospa.com/button-batteries/
www.buttonbatterysafety.com