14th April 2019

Unsafe travel adaptor supplier fined

A company that was found to be supplying dangerous travel adaptors has been prosecuted following a trading standards investigation.


By JTS Staff
Journal of Trading Standards' in-house team
TYPE
SUBJECT
REGION
SHARE ARTICLE
These travel adaptors failed safety testing which means they could cause electrocution and potentially death to an unsuspecting user

An Ireland-based company that imported dangerous travel adaptors which were subsequently sold in West Sussex has been ordered to pay more than £6,000 in fines and costs.

Fonua Ltd, based in Dublin, pleaded guilty to two charges at Worthing Magistrates Court following an investigation by West Sussex Trading Standards. The company was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,025.12 plus a victim surcharge of £170.

The company had supplied the ‘ChargeWorx’ brand world travel adaptor to Game Retail Ltd in Worthing. Trading Standards officers purchased this adaptor and testing showed several safety failings including the risk of electric shock.

This was part of a wider Trading Standards project looking at the safety of travel adaptors.

Peter Aston, Trading Standards Team Manager, said: “These travel adaptors failed safety testing which means they could cause electrocution and potentially death to an unsuspecting user.

“We usually advise people to only buy electrical products from a recognised brand or high street retailer but disappointingly as this case proves, that doesn’t always guarantee safety.”

Fonua Ltd recalled the products once informed of the results of testing.